Likely timing of future Thunderbird Gecko builds

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Apr 18 17:17:08 UTC 2017

On April 18, 2017 9:27:02 AM PDT, Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com> wrote:

>Kent, please stop proposing that as option. It is not.

I don't understand what you are proposing as the alternative. Devote increasing resources to compile against a Gecko that is determined to stop supporting us? There will be a last Gecko version for current TB. Is it 59? 66? Then what happens after esr eol? The worse thing we could do is to devote resources for many months and then fail. When do we decide? Are you proposing a TB66 based on Gecko? TB59 will be a challenge.

You say we have a few months after esr eol, I say 12. I don't see we are that far apart. I am all in favor of an aggressive TB++ effort.

I maintained for 2 years a branch of m-esr for TB 38 then 45, and there were similar voices opposed to that when we started. A few months might be the right answer instead of 12, but we need to face facts.