Thunderbird++ for each of the four major components

Patrick Cloke patrick at cloke.us
Tue Apr 18 13:12:46 UTC 2017

On 4/18/17 12:53 AM, R Kent James wrote:

> *Chat*: I have heard nothing from this team, but I would guess this is
> also likely a line-by-line conversion from XUL and the Mozilla
> Platform to web technologies.

Most of chat is "web technologies" in that the entire backend is written
in JavaScript. It does use XPCOM to provide interfaces, but all
providers/consumers of those interfaces are JavaScript. It uses some
Mozilla-specific interfaces, of course, the most obvious of which is
low-level TCP sockets. I'm sure there are other APIs too.

The user interface would need to be converted from XUL to HTML, however.
Message themes are already HTML/CSS/JavaScript. I can't think of any
super high performance aspects (i.e. treeview for mail), currently the
view can get really slow when you have many many messages (e.g. a busy
IRC channel left open for weeks).

--Patrick