Thunderbird++ for each of the four major components

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Tue Apr 18 13:02:37 UTC 2017

Gervase Markham wrote on 18.04.2017 10:09:
> Thunderbird lasted for many years without either capability. I would
> strongly suggest that neither is part of a minimum viable product for
> TB++. We can't forbid people from working on them, but if those people
> are also capable of contributing to Mail and/or Contacts, then every
> hour spent on them makes the MVP an hour of work further away.

Gerv, Kent said that these are students, so he wanted them to work on
auxiliary parts, not on the core. I think that's a good approach.

> Firefox (and, even, Thunderbird!) demonstrated that a subset of users of
> a more complex product (the Mozilla Suite) are happy and find it
> refreshing to use a simpler product which does one thing well. That
> should be the initial path to gaining users for TB++ - an explicit
> refutation of the idea that (initially at least) it provides feature
> parity, to correctly set expectations.

I agree, and that was in my Proposal. First create most basic
functionality, then create a competitive mailer, then in the end cover
the full feature set of TB.

Ben