Thunderbird++ for each of the four major components

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Apr 18 10:21:44 UTC 2017

On 18/04/17 11:11, Matt Harris wrote:
> I strongly suggest that anyone thinking a mail client without a calendar
> will fly should listen the the users a little more.  Even the cheapest
> phone has a calendar. The windows 10 mail app has a calendar.

There is a difference between "your mail app doesn't have a calendar"
and "you don't have a calendar".

I use Google Calendar Tab, which must be 100 lines of code, and does
most of what one wants from calendar integration. A few more hundred
lines of code and it would do everything.

> What is the proposed selling point of Thunderbird++ on Windows anyway?
> What is the killer feature that will grow our user base?

Well, it's not going to be a calendar if every other app has one ;-)

>   * I do see a small but continuous stream of issues in Support with
>     chat and News (NNTP).  Mostly looking for long standing bug fixes,
>     given Mozilla ignored that module as much as they could get away
>     with. Are there 10 or 10 million users of NNTP.  I have no idea.

NNTP is certainly not part of an MVP. And I say that as a keen NNTP user.

Gerv