Thunderbird++ for each of the four major components

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Apr 18 04:53:11 UTC 2017

Here's my personal understanding/guess of where we are likely heading
with each of the 4 major pieces of Thunderbird. What's new here is
mostly discussing the "other" pieces beyond email, as most of the
Thunderbird++ discussion so far has implicitly focused on email. Note in
all cases, it may be possible to incorporate portions of the new work in
the existing Thunderbird, but that is not a primary goal. Retaining
existing users IS a primary goal.

*Mail (and related views)*: There will be a servo-like rewrite of the
major email portions (accounts, servers, folders, messages, views) using
web technologies. This will likely be mostly driven by a paid team.

*Contacts*: will be a complete rewrite in web technologies. I am working
toward figuring out how the Cardbook, vContacts, and my group (Caspia)
can work together on this. It is likely this will be done mostly by
volunteers.

*Calendar*: will likely be a line-by-line conversion from XUL and the
Mozilla Platform to web technologies. I have another Caspia team that
might work on this, but the overall task is probably too big for them alone.

*Chat*: I have heard nothing from this team, but I would guess this is
also likely a line-by-line conversion from XUL and the Mozilla Platform
to web technologies.

It would be good to hear from the Chat and Calendar teams about
possibilities for those subsystems, so far I am guessing. I am also
introducing here the idea that the "rewrite from scratch" proposal is I
believe mostly focused on email only, which might be worthy of discussion.

:rkent