UI wishlist and new-release UI regression testing (was Re: Proposal to start a new implementation of Thunderbird based on web technologies)

Disaster Master disasterlistmanager at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 14:53:16 UTC 2017

On 4/15/2017, 9:53:25 AM, The Wanderer <wanderer at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> (This is drifting offtopic, if not already there. Also, I apologize for
> length.)
>
> On 2017-04-13 at 11:21, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
>> On Wed Apr 12 2017 11:50:11 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), The
>> Wanderer <wanderer at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>>> So far as I recall, there are only two main things I still want
>>> from the Thunderbird 2 UI which I've been unable to regain:
> <snip>
>
> I've thought of a third one: the message header pane. AFAIK it's still
> not possible to set things up so you get the same information in the
> same space as was the case with TB2, and although the tweaks from
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_3.1_-_New_Features_and_Changes#Gaining_Vertical_Space
> and ones based on but not identical to the ones from
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Make_Thunderbird_3.1_look_like_Thunderbird_2
> come close enough that I can live with the result, they're not perfect.

I'm curious what you were missing that CompactHeader doesn't give you
for the MEssage Pane HEader?

> (I should perhaps clarify slightly: I don't insist that the quick-filter
> widget be a text box in the old style. I would have no problem if it
> behaved exactly like the collection of widgets that appear in the
> toolbar, albeit with less horizontal space between them than the toolbar
> provides, and if those widgets could only be moved as a unit - as long
> as that unit could be moved around like any other widget, rather than
> being fixed in a separate toolbar.)

Well, if you read the comments in the bug and/or try the Unifed Search
Addon, I think you'd like what you saw. It still works (I think), but as
I said, it isn't perfect.

>> Note: it was explained on one of the other lists (tb-planning? dev?)
>> that it is entirely possible for Thunderbird to add WebExtension
>> APIs independently of what the Firefox devs add for Firefox.
> ...and the underlying structural reasons why that decision was made are
> such that, much though I dislike it, I'm not sure it would be possible
> (much less practical) to make a different decision on the Thunderbird
> side with its significantly less available manpower.

Yes, while it would apparently be trivial for TB to manage extensions of
the Webextensions API to provide hooks as deep as we wanted/needed,
independent of Mozilla/Firefox, the matter of finding devs capable of
writing/extending said APIs is obviously not trivial.