Joining forces vs. starting from scratch (was Re: Proposal to start a new implementation...)

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Apr 12 10:06:55 UTC 2017

On 12/04/17 11:04, Matt Harris wrote:
> I would prefer a license that requires any derivative to be open
> source.  That is a derivative mail client.  I have no issue with say a
> JS library being sucked into another project,  with only an attribution.

Can I suggest, without pointing fingers at anyone in particular, that
this excellent discussion of Thunderbird's future direction not rathole
on licensing questions? :-)

Gerv's First Law of New Projects states that any software project whose
first output is their own logo is doomed to failure. It might need a
corollary to incorporate projects which begin with an extended
discussion of licensing ;-)

Gerv