Joining forces vs. starting from scratch (was Re: Proposal to start a new implementation...)

Óvári ovari21 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 23:06:31 UTC 2017

On 12/4/17 4:53 am, Magnus Melin wrote:
> On 4/11/17 6:09 AM, R Kent James wrote:
>> I wonder if we would ever consider switching to GPL?
>
> Good question, the MPL really hasn't served Thunderbird very well,
> with Postbox being the prime example, resulting in zero win for the
> base project. This would not be possible with GPL.
>
> You could also consider a dual licensing of GPL + commercial licensing
> for proprietary software. (Like MySQL, Stanford CoreNLP etc.)
>
>  -Magnus
Why did R Kent James demand CardBook
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/cardbook/> be licensed
under MPL then? Zero win for CardBook...

LibreOffice <https://www.libreoffice.org/> seems to be working, why not
copy their licensing model? Or even join The Document Foundation (TDF)
<https://www.documentfoundation.org/>?