Joining forces vs. starting from scratch (was Re: Proposal to start a new implementation...)

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Tue Apr 11 18:53:03 UTC 2017

On 4/11/17 6:09 AM, R Kent James wrote:
> I wonder if we would ever consider switching to GPL?

Good question, the MPL really hasn't served Thunderbird very well, with
Postbox being the prime example, resulting in zero win for the base
project. This would not be possible with GPL.

You could also consider a dual licensing of GPL + commercial licensing
for proprietary software. (Like MySQL, Stanford CoreNLP etc.)

  -Magnus