Joining forces vs. starting from scratch (was Re: Proposal to start a new implementation...)

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 16:30:55 UTC 2017

On 4/10/2017 10:09 PM, R Kent James wrote:
> GPL code :(  Primarily the work of 2 people. I wonder if we would ever
> consider switching to GPL?

Personally, I'm strongly averse to the GPL, particularly for code that I
want to make available to other people, for two reasons. First, as you
implied, GPL code limits the ability of other worthy, but non-GPL
projects, to use it (even if open-source). Second, the GPL actually
comes with some surprisingly onerous compliance requirements with
implications for how you build and deploy software, and I don't think
the philosophical goals of the GPL merit all that legal compulsion.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer