Joining forces vs. starting from scratch (was Re: Proposal to start a new implementation...)

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Apr 11 03:09:37 UTC 2017

On 4/10/2017 7:47 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> # Nylon N1
>
>   * Desktop app written in JS, but married with a server components.
>   * UI applicable
>   * Need to look at this

I had a chat with the CEO of Nylas a year ago about possibly working
together. My impression at the time was that they were primarily
interested in the mail client as a promotion of the web services, rather
than as a widely available client, and were not really interested in
working with us. Of course, I could be wrong in my impressions. Note
they have been quite active in the Electron community reporting on
various issues with Electron in their application. Their code is very
close to what we have been doing, and some might ask "Does the world
need 2 Electron/React open source email clients?" Lead developer Ben
Gotow left in 2016, now principal engineer at https://www.foundry376.com/

GPL code :(  Primarily the work of 2 people. I wonder if we would ever
consider switching to GPL?

:rkent