Proposal to start a new implementation of Thunderbird based on web technologies

opto@optosolar.com opto at optosolar.com
Sun Apr 9 20:01:31 UTC 2017

As much as a new start may make sense from a programming point of view, from a user's perspective, I just want to point out that this will kill nearly all addons/extensions.

I am confident that members of this list may update their extensions, but most other extensions will be lost, especially if not only XUL is gone, but if the API totally changes.

Also, we might be facing 3 years of no new features for TB, but also 3 years of no new extensions for TB. Can there be any mechanism that extensions might be reused after rewriting? Or having need of minimal changes only?

my 2 cts, Klaus