CardBook postulates to become a Thunderbird featured addon.

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Mon Apr 10 16:19:48 UTC 2017

On 10/04/2017 17:35, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
> I'm not sure what this has to do with the add-on being featured though.
Nothing really.

> Jörg, are you suggesting that those requirements would be criteria for being featured?
No.

I'm just pointing out that we're wasting valuable resources. The TB
address book has its well-known deficiencies, but instead of joining the
project to fix that by integrating a very nice-looking and function-rich
add-on, with, let me just pick one function at random that TB users are
asking for, "find and merge duplicates contacts", the author has created
his own project. Especially sad to read was: "this addon shows no sign
of being on a path to replacing the default address book in Thunderbird".

Sure, it's a free world, it's open-source, everyone can do what they
want, but a coordinated effort to achieve a better overall product,
would be preferable. It's one thing to provide an add-on for a niche
market, say mail-merge, signature-switch, template management or an HTML
editor, but providing a "replace-on", IMHO isn't the best use of
resources. Maybe the author is not even to blame, maybe TB is to blame
for not being more open and embracing work by others. We all know that
it's hard to get a review, and it's almost impossible to get a review
for dramatic changes like ripping out one component and replacing it by
another.

Jörg.