Proposal to start a new implementation of Thunderbird based on web technologies

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Tue Apr 4 20:38:58 UTC 2017

On 4/4/17 1:00 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> The gradual rewrite is what has failed. That's not just a possibility.
> We tried and failed. As you said above, we wanted to do it since a
> long time, and never succeeded. Thinking that we'll suddenly succeed
> now, with less resources, is merely wishful thinking. And if that
> fails, Thunderbird is dead for good, because XUL is going away
> eventually.

Unfortunately AFAIK there was never any serious resources from MoMo/MoCo
put into rewriting anything to web technologies.

One of the valuable things they did put resources into was creating and
setting up the testing infrastructure. With your proposed start from
scratch model all you'll get no test coverage at all, and that's really
bad. Things just aren't that easy to get right in the details.

  -Magnus