Proposal to start a new implementation of Thunderbird based on web technologies

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon Apr 3 21:13:26 UTC 2017

> On Mon Apr 03 2017 12:03:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Gervase
> Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:
>> Why is POP and not IMAP in the MVP? I'd say if you are going to do one,
>> IMAP is the modern mail access protocol.

If I have a say in it, the new Thunderbird will support IMAP from the
get-go. IMAP is not an issue. I already have IMAP implemented, for
simple reading.

The actual problems I am facing are more technical, e.g. which JS module
system do we use? <script> or require() sync or require() async or
TypeScript modules or something else? How do the modules communicate?

Tanstaafl wrote on 03.04.2017 18:09:
> Actually, I suggest that IMAP is no longer the 'modern' one.

I'll join you there.

> I suggest JMAP support be made a mandatory criteria.

Again, MVP. You can work without JMAP, so it's not a minimal criteria,
and not a mandatory one.

Whether we support JMAP or web forums or whatever you can think of is
not a question at this point in time. The answer is: Eventually yes, if
someone cares about it enough. It should be much much easier to
implement than in current Thunderbird.

Ben