Proposal to start a new implementation of Thunderbird based on web technologies

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Apr 3 16:15:52 UTC 2017

On Mon Apr 03 2017 12:08:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Joshua
Cranmer 🐧 <pidgeot18 at gmail.com> wrote:
> In short: I think you need to give a lot more thought into breaking a
> complete redesign idea into smaller modules that can be independently
> reused, and you also need to think about how to import those modules
> into TB in a finer-grained fashion than all-or-nothing.

I've made the exact same suggestion and always felt it makes more sense,
but being that ianap, I couldn't/can't articulate a strong argument.

But modularizing it just makes sense. This can use the same exact
process used now for thrashing out bugs - early releas, beta, and
Release channels. Then it is just on users to make sure they keep their
profile backed up in case something trashes it.

It might actually end up being more work - even significantly more work
- but the risk is vastly reduced, even eliminated.