[Council Meeting] Technical Future, Partnerships and Hiring

Mihovil Stanić mihovil at miho.im
Mon Apr 3 11:39:10 UTC 2017

Great work with updates Philipp! I for one feel for enthusiastic when I
see Thundebird is moving in some direction.

In my opinion, from organizational point of view TB Council should make
three decisions fast (in next 30 days).

 1. Gradual rewrite or new code base?
 2. Forking Mozilla Gecko as it is now (implement only patches for high
    risk security bugs which affect TB) or continue as it is now?
 3. Choosing new home for TB.

Those 3 questions need to be answered as soon as possible so Thunderbird
can end it's status quo.

My non technical opinion, based solely on what's more effective, go with
rewrite and fork Gecko.
It will give you more manpower to do rewrite if Gecko isn't dragging you
into mud every release cycle. :)

Mihovil