B2G changes and Thunderbird

Mark Rousell mark.rousell at signal100.com
Tue Sep 27 19:50:44 UTC 2016

On 27/09/2016 20:08, R Kent James wrote:
> 1)    B2G is being told by Mozilla that they would need to fork Gecko to
> move forward.
>
> They are struggling with this in the same way that we struggle with this
> concept. I've long said that the day will probably come when Thunderbird
> will seriously need to consider whether we also need to fork Gecko. We
> hope to put this off for awhile, but there could be some logic to
> allying with other groups that might have a requirement to fork Gecko
> and work together.
>
> I don't really have any clue about the strength of the B2G community
> relative to Thunderbird, does anyone else?

Speaking from the outside looking in, I can't see why there would be
much of a B2G community from now on. What will the software run on? Why
would anyone who was not being paid to develop it continue to be
involved? Unless the community can do deals with hardware manufacturers
(which, if I understand correctly, Mozilla failed to do on a scale that
was commercially desirable for them both for phones and IoT) then B2G
will be a software platform without a hardware platform.

--
Mark Rousell