B2G changes and Thunderbird

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Sep 27 19:08:31 UTC 2016

B2G seems to be moving a little faster than Thunderbird, in that Mozilla
is moving to rapidly remove B2G pieces from Gecko. Two items of interest
to the Thunderbird community (see
https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/Meeting/2016-09-27):

1)    B2G is being told by Mozilla that they would need to fork Gecko to
move forward.

They are struggling with this in the same way that we struggle with this
concept. I've long said that the day will probably come when Thunderbird
will seriously need to consider whether we also need to fork Gecko. We
hope to put this off for awhile, but there could be some logic to
allying with other groups that might have a requirement to fork Gecko
and work together.

I don't really have any clue about the strength of the B2G community
relative to Thunderbird, does anyone else?

I would be willing to bet if we asked Platform Engineering about the
future of Thunderbird and Gecko, we would probably get the same answer,
namely "need to fork Gecko to move forward".

2)    David Bryant, VP Platform Engineering was asked the specific
question: "Will Mozilla continue to provide the B2G community with
access to its infrastructure? For instance, Bugzilla, Taskcluster,
Mercurial/Git hosting, MDN" The answer was : "Infrastructure that's
currently available is still available. Can continue to provide that in
a self-supported model. They could decide to make changes which would be
fine."

Thunderbird badly needs to determine what infrastructure from Mozilla we
could rely on for the foreseeable future.

:rkent