Summary of issues for new legal home for Thunderbird

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Thu Oct 6 15:30:47 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

	Thanks for the summary !

On 10/03/2016 12:22 AM, R Kent James wrote:
> so we also are considering either a short-term or long-term plan to
> have some sort of independent organization at least in the short run).

	I had some exploratory discussions around potential structures to
accommodate Thunderbird at TDF. One reasonably attractive option - that
should enable you guys to change direction / entity in future - is to
have a special purpose vehicle - a non-profit corporate entity dedicated
to Thunderbird but owned by TDF. That has the flexibility to allow
future evolution into an independent organization if that's the way you
guys want to go, as well as some overheads as well as all such things do.

	Anyhow - just wanted to throw that option into the mix here.

	All the best,

		Michael.

--
Michael Meeks, Director of The Document Foundation
Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin, Germany