Help decide the UI for showing untagged messages in the Quick Filter

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 07:15:29 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Jörg Knobloch <jorgk at jorgk.com> wrote:

> In bug 683809[1], we've had a hard time agreeing on the best UI for
> showing untagged messages in the Quick Filter. As such, we're putting it to
> a vote. If you're reading this, please take the poll (it's only one
> question!) and give us your feedback: http://goo.gl/PfLQWL
>
> The picture is rather detailed, it can be viewed in its original size here
> [2]. The picture shows how a user would have to use the proposed new
> button/buttons to see the following sets of messages: "All messages", "All
> tagged", "Some tagged", "Untagged only" and "Untagged + some tagged".

Can I vote "None of the above"? All of the options are difficult to
understand, although 1 is closer to comprehensible than the others. In
fact, I'd say this is going in completely the wrong direction, since the
ability to filter on "not X" applies to *all* of the quick filter items,
not just tags. Just as you may want to see untagged messages, you might
also want to see read messages or messages not from one of your contacts. I
would recommend an implementation that addresses all of these at once
(perhaps tri-state buttons for all of the main filter buttons?). The
proposed implementation seems to be pulling us away from this, which is
short-sighted in my opinion.

More generally, I disagree on the need to see untagged messages alongside
ones that have a specific set of tags. It should be straightforward to
perform two filter actions, first for the untagged messages, and second for
the tagged ones.

- Jim