Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Nov 21 09:18:30 UTC 2016

On 20/11/16 12:47, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
> Sarcasm is not putting things positive. I've tried to state this in
> multiple ways and it doesn't seem to resonate. I would like to find some
> encouragement for Monterail to continue to contribute.

This seems eminently sensible. I agree that the tone so far on this
thread has not been "what good can we find in this?" but "let's have a
whine and a moan about Thunderbird's lack of manpower and all of the
stuff we don't like about the mockup". Neither of these things is going
to lead to more contributors - if anything, they will lead to fewer.

I would say that "redesign" is the wrong word for what they've done, as
all of the same functions are in the same places (as far as I can see).
This is really a reskin, and so appreciation of it falls much more in
the realm of aesthetics. I also don't use the 3-pane the way they have
it set up, so it's hard to disentangle my views about that frm my views
of the mockup. But functionally, I do like the idea of "saved searches"
on the left for mail which is Starred, or marked as Important, and the
idea of de-emphasising the Spam folder.

Gerv