Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Sun Nov 20 09:20:24 UTC 2016

> Am 19.11.2016 um 22:49 schrieb Philipp Kewisch <mozilla at kewis.ch>:
>
> Imagine for once that we had infinite manpower and could make any
> changes, what do you like most about the mockup?

A thing which really frustrates new users is when the first setup of a program is complicated. Look at the UI and functionality of those steps. I see a number of possible improvements there.

And why is later modifying smtp config in a completely different place than imap?

There are some possible UI improvements of the main UI, which cannot be shown in a static mockup:

When a column width is changed by the user, the width of the date, received and size columns should not change.

When a user has modified which columns are shown, and/or their width, and/or order, it should be possible to make the new setting the default for new folders and new accounts. And the change should survive a reindex of the folder. Or it should not be necessary to frequently reindex folders just to make search find all matches.

When no date line is present in an email, the date column should instead show the contents of the received line, not the timestamp when that email got moved into that folder (maybe this bug got
fixed meanwhile, didn't check).

When spam detection has been turned off, the spam column should not be shown. Or spam detection should be so great that it justifies full download of all emails when adding a folder or account.

Why is there a "new" column (the star), when that same info is also already reflected in the font weight (bold)?

Why are the icons on top by default shown with icon and text, not just icon, with text only as hover-tip? Would definitely look cleaner. Good icons do not need description always shown. If they need, make them better.

Klaus

--
Message sent from a mobile device, please excuse brevity and typos