Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Philipp Kewisch mozilla at kewis.ch
Sun Nov 20 12:47:08 UTC 2016

On 11/20/16 12:34 PM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> On 20/11/2016 11:20, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
>> Please try to find those 2% you may like.
>
> The folder pane now has a dark background. Oh boy! It wastes a lot of
> space and shows two Gmail accounts. No feeds.

Sarcasm is not putting things positive. I've tried to state this in
multiple ways and it doesn't seem to resonate. I would like to find some
encouragement for Monterail to continue to contribute. With some minor
changes our UI has been the way it is for ages. Not moving forward is
not an option. It is clear that the design should not be implemented
1:1, a full redesign is surely not the goal, and that some user research
would be helpful. I think this is also clear to Monterail, but putting
ideas out in the open that go a bit over the top are the only way to
spark discussion and make progress.

The open source process should be inclusive, and should encourage new
contributors to participate. Not discourage them by focusing on the
negative aspects. I think it would be positive to work together with the
designers and developers wanting to make improvements, even if the end
result is not the same as what they start out with. This will be my last
email to justify my intent, I am happy to reply to anything positive
coming out of this.

Philipp