Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 18:17:53 UTC 2016

On Nov 19, 2016 9:20 AM, "Kent James" <kent at caspia.com> wrote:

> On 11/19/2016 7:21 AM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> > Firefox has an entire user advocacy team that analyzes data from input
> > and other sources and regularly does reports and watches for trends.
> > It also looks at ADI trends along the feedback.
>
> Firefox, with three orders of magnitude more resources than Thunderbird
> (though only one order of magnitude more users), is not a good example
> for Thunderbird. If anything, we need to shake off trying to act like
> Firefox and instead try to emulate other small, successful open source
> projects.

I think your missing the point which is you shouldn't be shooting down
ideas without user feedback and data to support shooting it down. Your
needs aren't a good measure for all TB users needs.

Absent data to support sticking with a UI or modernizing the UI you would
be shooting in the dark.

> Having led small companies for years, this has been a constant source of
> personal irritation. People come in from a Boeing to a small operation
> like I used to run, and expect that we have all of the same methods that
> they do. We don't and can't, and trying to emulate them is not the right
> way forward.

One common trait among successful open source projects or even startups is
understanding the users needs and frustrations. If you don't do this and
start identifying what's important to the end user but instead do what you
or other contributors think is best then you could see user attrition.

Look at any number of open source projects that have failed and you will
see a lack of listening to the end user.

Are you making a product for yourself or for everyone?