Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 05:00:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Martin Iturbide <martiniturbide at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I like the idea. Even if that is not the final, I think they are in the
> right path. I hope that the "status quo" don't stop an idea like that.

As far as I can tell, the only real new UX is that they added profile
pictures for senders and a couple more folder icons. Everything else is
just reskinning the current UI to look more "modern". However, one of the
nice things about Thunderbird is that it fits in nicely with your host OS;
if your host OS looks modern, so should Thunderbird. :)

There are a lot of UX improvements that Thunderbird desperately needs, but
I don't think this mockup is a significant improvement upon what we have.
There might be a few small things we could take from this to clean things
up (e.g. Lightning's Today Pane, the multi-message summary), but I think it
would make more sense to focus on *UX* improvements. Here's a list of
things that I think would be really helpful:

* Seamless iframes so we can scroll the message headers along with the
message bodies
* Improving our tab UI (compose/address book in a tab, fixing scrolling
issues with messages in tabs, etc)
* Multiline items in the thread pane
* Deciding on a better UX for global search/quick filter (e.g. merging them
somehow?)
* Merging Mail Summaries into TB proper

- Jim