Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Martin Iturbide martiniturbide at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 02:48:37 UTC 2016

Hi

My personal opinion is that Thunderbird GUI is outdated. When I got back to
use it after some years it took me several minutes to find out that the
calendar needed the be opened from the top right icon (near the window
minimize icon). Sure that you can customize where the icon goes, but by
default it shows up at the top-right.

The chat function was very hard to configure and at the end I preferred not
to use it anymore before it was making Thundebird unstable. It may sound
weird but even Lotus Notes has a better chat integration on the application
than Thunderbird. The Thunderbird address book looks like a disconnected
application that was bundle together with the package.

I think that Thunderbird's GUI requires an important update. If there is
fear of what can think 25M users can think about changing the GUI maybe it
can be interesting to try to poll some of them. Or maybe fork the project
and make a more experimental change of GUI to see the user's reaction.

I liked the fearless authors of that blog to try to think outside the box
and try a different concept.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
http://www.os2world.com