Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Sean M. Pappalardo spappalardo at renegadetech.com
Thu Nov 17 22:35:31 UTC 2016

On 11/17/2016 02:24 PM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> In a nutshell: Nicer looking is not
> necessarily more functional.

That article argues that users tend to consider it so however, and
worries that Thunderbird might be dismissed out-of-hand if its interface
is perceived as outdated.

> I remember when the folder icons in Windows
> 7 suddenly became upright instead of landscape in Windows XP. Suddenly
> the rows were much higher and a lot less fit onto the screen.

That bothers me too, but current design trends focus on "negative
space": that which is intentionally left blank to reduce clutter and
call attention to important items.

I'm not saying I agree (I hate the trendy message lists that show icons
for the senders. So much vertical space wasted!) but just that these are
points worth considering. (My vote is always to allow the user to
customize either way.)

Sincerely,
Sean M. Pappalardo
Sr. Networks Engineer