howto not make announcements

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Tue May 17 10:59:08 UTC 2016

On 16/05/2016 2:47 AM, Klaus Hartnegg wrote:
> On 15.05.2016 at 19:02 neandr wrote:
>> Good place to add to this also "Donate"
>
> Behind a submenu item of a disabled menu? That's a waste of time.

What is disabled about the default application menu?  Other than the
fact you and many others perhaps do not use it.  It is however eminently
discoverable.
(As an aside I would love to know how many actually leave the menu bar
disabled.  Almost every screen shot I have ever seen in support, from
users, has it turned on)

> Both should be shown by the automatic updater, when it is preparing a
> major version step. That is the only place where it will be seen by a
> majority of the users. Menuitems and webpages are only looked at by a
> fraction of all users.
Oh I am quite happy to bug them with pop ups and any amount of annoying
stuff until they donate.  They can enter their receipt number to get off
the donate request band wagon.

Oh and corporate entities?  Like most of the open source world,  We need
to have a commercial version for you without the nag screens.
(say $10 per seat per year exempts you from the fundraising drive.)
Miser businesses that think open source is "Free as in beer" will just
have to put up with the requests.  They have choice,  move elsewhere,
pay up or build a bridge.

Matt