Donation -- how to tell

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon May 16 20:10:33 UTC 2016

First, I think it is great that this is happening, and while I
understand that what I'm about to say it much easier said than done...

If users actually had positive feedback that their donations were
actually being used to make Thunderbird better, I think that donations
would grow consistently over time, first through repeat donations, but
also from others who maybe took a wait and see attitude.

Transparency in the accounting process will accomplish this to a great
degree, but another way that is maybe even more a 'feel good' way, would
be if a way were provided to allow for 'directed donations' - meaning,
donations, but that were directed to be used to implement a certain
bug/feature. These could be incorporated in the Bug Tracker, allowing
people to donate directly from there.

Of course, for these, it would have to be understood that your money
goes into a special account, and if the linked bug/feature is still open
after a given amount of time (say, a year), then your money goes into
the general fund - otherwise, it counts against the bug/feature.

So, these donations are made knowing that they might not go toward the
purpose you wanted, but at least you could try.

It would be a much more meaningful way to 'vote' too, and this way
people could actually brag about having helped pay to implement feature
X or fix bug Y...