Donation -- how to tell

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon May 16 17:51:12 UTC 2016

On 5/16/2016 10:07 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> R Kent James wrote on 16.05.2016 07:39:
>> Yet I still warn people that we will get flak for aggressive
>> donations campaigns...
>>
>> Non-intrusive donation links at selected locations are not going to
>> generate flak. It is when the donation campaign is more aggressive,
>> potentially even interrupting someone's workflow depending on the
>> design, that the real complaints will begin. In an ideal world we
>> would never need to do that, but in an ideal world we would have
>> figured out ways to fund ourselves that do not intrude
>
> Agreed. It should be visible, but not intrusive or too much in your face.
>
> Right balance is key, as Kent said.

Right, and the balance that I would strive for, following mostly from
observing TDF and Wikipedia, is this:

1)    Most of the time, donations links should be easy to find but
non-intrusive. Our current links are fine for this, now we are trying to
locate them and convert them to the new link provided by MoFo.

2)    (Following TDF who in turn followed others): the download page is
one location where users are focused on the app, have a minute of spare
time, and can be asked effectively for a donation. I would not
artificially increase the need for accessing this page by forcing people
to use a webpage for updates, for example.

3)    (Following Wikipedia): Periodically, probably once per year, we
need to do an intrusive but limited outreach to existing users for
donations.

> We're not beggars, we're offering something to the user. E.g. It
> should not be always visible in the UI. We're not shareware. But most
> users should see it once in a while.

I think that my rough plan ahead largely agrees with you.

> Also, to not have too high expectations about revenue, take a look at
> how much Firefox raises with donations, and how many users they have
> compared to us, and how much that would give us.

I have done this extensively, which is how I come up with the estimates
of $100,000 - $500,000 per year as a reasonable expectation.

:rkent