Donation -- how to tell

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon May 16 17:07:08 UTC 2016

R Kent James wrote on 16.05.2016 07:39:
> Yet I still warn people that we will get flak for aggressive donations
> campaigns...
>
> Non-intrusive donation links at selected locations are not going to
> generate flak. It is when the donation campaign is more aggressive,
> potentially even interrupting someone's workflow depending on the
> design, that the real complaints will begin. In an ideal world we
> would never need to do that, but in an ideal world we would have
> figured out ways to fund ourselves that do not intrude

Agreed. It should be visible, but not intrusive or too much in your face.

Right balance is key, as Kent said.

We're not beggars, we're offering something to the user. E.g. It should
not be always visible in the UI. We're not shareware. But most users
should see it once in a while.

Also, to not have too high expectations about revenue, take a look at
how much Firefox raises with donations, and how many users they have
compared to us, and how much that would give us.
We could also ask other projects - not just want they do, but more
importantly how well it worked. We could also check how Firefox
donations changed over time based on different UI and website placements.

The website is a good and natural place for a donation button. E.g. the
page that comes after the download started (while the user has to wait
anyway), and additionally at the side of the homepage and download pages.

Ben