Donation -- how to tell - Details

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at lehigh.edu
Mon May 16 14:24:39 UTC 2016

On 5/16/2016 10:11 AM, neandr wrote:
> Thanks James for the feedback.
>
> Maybe it's my misunderstanding about your words, but wording with 'flak'
> etc makes me nervous. I said "should *not* be shy" which isn't saying be
> aggressive.
>
> And yes, we have to find methods to make the "normal" users -- not you
> and me .. the tech oriented users, but users which do minimal changes to
> the initial Thunderbird layout  -- aware of the need to donate for
> Thunderbird.
>
> I agree with Klaus
>> /Behind a submenu item of a disabled menu? That's a waste of time. /
>
> .. also agree with your argument
>> /interrupting //someone's workflow depending on the design/
>
> Finally we need good reminders for *all* users -- always visible, not
> aggressive, non destructive, not interrupting the workflow. And yes we
> will have *always* complains with the one or the other method.
>
> So with some more courage here is my suggestion:
>
>     1.  Place a Thunderbird Donation logo on the Mail Tab bar as we have
>     the Lightning icons:
>
>     	/Here the TB icon needs to be replaced by a TB/Donation icon.
>
>     Tooltiptext is a must
>     (Thanks to Mark pointing to this)
>     /
>

>     2.  Add Donation menu items at places  like Hamburger, Menu Bar -->
>     Tools, etc  .. also it maybe hidden with normal use
>
>     3. With *any* TB update open a TB Tab to show a complete Donation
>     Page, *not only* the Start Page. That's because the Start page could
>     be set to show only a few lines. That Donation page should link also
>     to "What's New".
>
>     4.  On Thunderbird web pages (e.g. What's New, Help Topics, Notes, )
>     add a Donation note with one or two sentences about it and link to
>     the Donation page (maybe the same content as above, but shown as a
>     new tab on the browser)
>
> Also important: A method to unable the Donation links/pages? A clear:
> NO! To repeat getting money is a question of not /Dying virtuously! /

If you are intend this to also cover menu items - menu items don't
impact user workflow, are not an intrusion and adding a "No" capability
would add unnecessary code complexity. So I disagree with the suggestion
to provide a disable capability - with one exception: if a  mail toolbar
button is provided it is by definition removable