Donation -- how to tell - Details

neandr neandr at gmx.de
Mon May 16 14:11:24 UTC 2016

Thanks James for the feedback.

Maybe it's my misunderstanding about your words, but wording with 'flak'
etc makes me nervous. I said "should *not* be shy" which isn't saying be
aggressive.

And yes, we have to find methods to make the "normal" users -- not you
and me .. the tech oriented users, but users which do minimal changes to
the initial Thunderbird layout  -- aware of the need to donate for
Thunderbird.

I agree with Klaus
> /Behind a submenu item of a disabled menu? That's a waste of time. /

.. also agree with your argument
> /interrupting //someone's workflow depending on the design/

Finally we need good reminders for *all* users -- always visible, not
aggressive, non destructive, not interrupting the workflow. And yes we
will have *always* complains with the one or the other method.

So with some more courage here is my suggestion:

    1.  Place a Thunderbird Donation logo on the Mail Tab bar as we have
    the Lightning icons:

    	/Here the TB icon needs to be replaced by a TB/Donation icon.

    Tooltiptext is a must
    (Thanks to Mark pointing to this)
    /

    2.  Add Donation menu items at places  like Hamburger, Menu Bar -->
    Tools, etc  .. also it maybe hidden with normal use

    3. With *any* TB update open a TB Tab to show a complete Donation
    Page, *not only* the Start Page. That's because the Start page could
    be set to show only a few lines. That Donation page should link also
    to "What's New".

    4.  On Thunderbird web pages (e.g. What's New, Help Topics, Notes, )
    add a Donation note with one or two sentences about it and link to
    the Donation page (maybe the same content as above, but shown as a
    new tab on the browser)

Also important: A method to unable the Donation links/pages? A clear:
NO! To repeat getting money is a question of not /Dying virtuously! /

And yes, we will get complains from users about this .. that's *always*
the case .. they need to understand!

Hope the council makes a clear decision, soon!

Thanks
Guenter