Help decide the UI for the Correspondents columns

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Fri May 13 21:49:46 UTC 2016

On 13.05.2016 at 22:42 Ben Bucksch wrote:
> In addition, I would also use colors to distinguish
> incoming/outgoing.

> With completely different icons, and contrasting colors, I think the
>  Correspondents column will be a lot more useful and more universally
> liked.

Less can sometimes be more, especially in UI design. Icon versus no icon
is more contrast than icon versus other icon. So much that it does not
need colour. There are already colors for important, personal, work etc.

> if you look at the main toolbar, the label for a new outgoing email
> is "Write" and the icon is a pencil.

> As a user, I would have chosen the same iconography for the
> Correspondents column.

+1 for pencil instead of the confusing arrow. Writing is an act, not a
direction. Own emails are special, not because of direction, but because
of author.