Open-sourcing Thunderbird & GitHub

Hammy Havoc hammy at splitanatom.com
Mon May 9 06:12:31 UTC 2016

Hey all,

Long-term Thunderbird user checking in, I’ve also recently come back to using Firefox. Absolutely love both applications, the integration of extensions on Android is also ingenious. What’s not to love between desktop and mobile?

One of the things that does bother me is that Thunderbird is looking a little dated visually compared to the likes of Nylas N1, and it’s also lacking touch support with swipe gestures and finger-friendly targets. I would really like to contribute to Thunderbird’s UX and bring touch support with a “tablet” mode, this would undoubtedly bring a lot of users back to Thunderbird who have grown accustomed to a UI that’s easy on the eyes and that works on their tablets.

I propose that Thunderbird should be open-sourced to accelerate development, and that it should be on GitHub, as it’s very much the de-facto standard for these projects. Large corporations such as Microsoft and Facebook open-source software on there, and it’s worked well for Mozilla too on GitHub so far.

All the best,
Hamual