Phipps Report

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at lehigh.edu
Tue May 3 13:19:07 UTC 2016

On 4/25/2016 1:32 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It’s taken longer than I would have liked, but today I’m pleased to tell
> you that we are publishing the report written by Simon Phipps
> investigating possible future homes for Thunderbird. You can find it here:
>
> https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/files/2016/04/Finding-a-Home-for-Thunderbird.pdf
>
> We expect this to be the start of a conversation rather than the end of
> anything. Please do use this thread to give your carefully considered
> thoughts on what Simon is saying. Subject to his personal availability
> (which is variable - he is a man in demand :-), I hope he will be
> present in this group to answer any questions you may have about the
> contents.
>
> I’m posting a more detailed post to .governance for a wider audience,
> about where this puts us in the process we are working through for
> Thunderbird, and there's also a blog post from Mark with more context:
>
> https://marksurman.commons.ca/2016/04/25/firefox-and-thunderbird-a-fork-in-the-road/
>
> Gerv

Gerv's statement that this is the *start* of a conversation is very much
on point.

And to that point it's worth noting in case readers and the press miss,
or dismiss, the community's involvement - this isn't a one-sided process
that MoFo is dictating or forcing on the community.  The community in
the form of the Thunderbird Council has been actively involved with MoFo
up to this point. So although the report was commissioned and issued by
MoFo, it began as a request to MoFo to clarify how we might move forward
from last fall, after Thunderbird did significant early leg work in the
prior 1+ year.

Two examples where much time was invested (cited from the report):

* TDF was originally approached in this regard by the Thunderbird
Council and has also been approached by P≡P.
* Conservancy was originally approached by the Thunderbird Council, who
completed its application process.

This is a small part of what the community has done. And it's absolutely
great to have MoFo's support in this process going forward.