Thunderbird Architecture Analysis SOW

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sat Mar 19 17:55:30 UTC 2016

On 3/19/2016 7:10 AM, Axel Grude <axel.grude at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/17/2016 10:26 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> What I would love to see is GLODA extended to make use of server side
>> indexes for IMAP accounts (for servers that provide such - are dovecot
>> and cyrus the only ones?) to be able to have fast *client* side full
>> text searching on remote IMAP mail, without having to maintain full
>> local copies of all of the mail. When you have 15+ IMAP accounts, each
>> with 1-5GB of mail, and a few with 15-50GB of mail, maintaining local
>> copies is pretty much a noop.#

> That would be okay if I could run a local version of the server in my
> LAN; but would it be a huge technological ask?

Depends on your skills, dovecot is pretty easy, but you'd also need to
incorporate Getmail (or Fetchmail or something similar) to pull the mail
in. But yes, if your skills are adequate, it is a great solution.

Also there are some appliances you could run in a virtualized
environment (iRedmail for one), but they are mostly meant to be live
mail servers, so you'd have some tweaking to do if you only wanted to
run it locally to pull in mail from outside sources.

Then you also have to consider accessibility... do you want access from
outside your home (laptops, phones, etc)?