Thunderbird Architecture Analysis SOW

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sat Mar 19 17:51:33 UTC 2016

On 3/19/2016 12:25 AM, Dave Koelmeyer
<dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz> wrote:
> On 18/03/16 04:14, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> I'd love to see syncing capabilities, but for me to use it, it would
>> require the ability to use my own FTP, DAV or other protocols so I
>> would have full ownership of my data (I do not use Firefox sync for
>> this reason).

> As an aside, you can run your own Firefox Sync server.

Yes, but it is much more work that just using an existing FTP or DAV server.

What I would like is for Firefox to implement a simple file format/spec
that only needs a target for storage. This way you could use a local LAN
shared folder target (to sync among different devices on the LAN, or
your own FTP or DAV server,

For example, I used to use FoxMarks for syncing my Bookmarks, and it
worked perfectly, using my private FTP server. I think it was just its
own XML file format, but I never had a problem with it, syncing many
different devices, and even sharing single Bookmark 'folders' with others.