Build and release: Mozilla's offer

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 00:48:56 UTC 2016

On 19/03/2016 12:47 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Dear Thunderbird community,
>
> As you know, there is a goal to give Thunderbird its own independent
> build and release infrastructure. The Thunderbird Council will, in due
> course, be making a decision about how best to move forward with this. I
> suspect they will probably wait until the financial home is chosen, and
> perhaps until after the architect is hired, to do that.
>
> However, in order to improve clarity, this post outlines what Mozilla is
> willing to pay for and do for Thunderbird in this area. Other people may
> of course have other proposals to bring forward, to which this one can
> be compared.
>
> In producing this proposal, we (that is me, Gerv, and Doug Turner) have
> evaluated two possible paths forward:
>
> A) create an instance of the current Buildbot-based system specifically
> for Thunderbird; or
> B) port Thunderbird to a new system using Taskcluster and Amazon Machine
> Images (AMIs).
/I think this is one of those times when the option to take is fairly
clear.

We have an existing build infrastructure that is on life support.
Someone has come along with the money and the people to rebuild it into
something modern and more stable.  Mozilla have staked their own future
on the technology, so they are certainly not hanging us out to dry.
Regardless of personal preferences, and in the absence of a competing
competitive offer, the decision is obvious.

Matt
/