Thunderbird Architecture Analysis SOW

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Mar 17 15:14:41 UTC 2016

On 3/17/2016 10:26 AM, Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com> wrote:
> I'd say:
> * historic growth of features like server-side search, quick-filter and
> client-side search based on gloda; and message views based on folders
> and messages (old style) vs. conversations (gmail style).

I (think) I concur...

The main problem with GLODA as I see it is it is only useful for local
storage.

I use IMAP only, and because I have huge stores of mail, I have GLODA
and all local caching/offline storage completely disabled except for a
few select folders (this is why I hated GLODA with a passion when it was
first released).

So, for me, GLODA is useless.

What I would love to see is GLODA extended to make use of server side
indexes for IMAP accounts (for servers that provide such - are dovecot
and cyrus the only ones?) to be able to have fast *client* side full
text searching on remote IMAP mail, without having to maintain full
local copies of all of the mail. When you have 15+ IMAP accounts, each
with 1-5GB of mail, and a few with 15-50GB of mail, maintaining local
copies is pretty much a noop.

> * need of 2010 era features like a new address book, sync address book
> and calendar with smartphones, automatic message filtering, and
> integration of short messaging like WhatsApp.

I'd love to see syncing capabilities, but for me to use it, it would
require the ability to use my own FTP, DAV or other protocols so I would
have full ownership of my data (I do not use Firefox sync for this reason).