Thunderbird Architecture Analysis SOW

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Mar 17 14:26:54 UTC 2016

I concur with asuth that the language " The existence of half-finished
features such as the global database (gloda)" paints gloda as problem
point, while it's actually one of the best parts of TB that could be
reused. At the same time, it should point out that TB didn't move much
in the last 5 years ,and the world progressed.

I'd say:
* historic growth of features like server-side search, quick-filter and
client-side search based on gloda; and message views based on folders
and messages (old style) vs. conversations (gmail style).
* need of 2010 era features like a new address book, sync address book
and calendar with smartphones, automatic message filtering, and
integration of short messaging like WhatsApp.
* keep and extend the distributed nature of protocols of all sorts