Thunderbird Architecture Analysis SOW

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Tue Mar 15 19:26:50 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016, at 02:54 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> We will certainly provide this person with lots of material once they
> start; are you saying that this information would be useful to potential
> job applicants?

I'm saying that gloda is the least of Thunderbird's problems and
anything that places emphasis on it as something that needs to be fixed
without context is likely counterproductive.

All of the UX issues you point out with global search are valid, but
they are either compartmentalized issues (tokenization, ranking
heuristics) or symptoms of the technical debt that dooms Thunderbird
(separate UI).

Three months is not a lot of time to come to grips with the Thunderbird
codebase, and time spent considering how to finish the other half of
gloda is time wasted if the underlying doom is not already addressed.

Andrew