Thunderbird Architecture Analysis SOW

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Mar 15 18:54:01 UTC 2016

On 15/03/16 18:33, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> This may be a cross between a nit and me possibly just being defensive,
> but "The existence of half-finished features such as the global database
> (gloda)" seems misleading.  Specifically, as the developer of much of
> gloda, I'm not sure what the other half of the feature is.

I guess I was thinking of the fact that gloda search results still don't
look anything like quicksearch results or any other part of the
Thunderbird UI, and the fact that I can absolutely rely on gloda not to
turn up the message I want in its "importance" ordering, or to reliably
search on a quoted phrase without splitting it in half, stemming it, and
turning up something entirely irrelevant with a word I didn't even ask
for. But perhaps this is my personal experience showing through :-)

> I think it'd be helpful to anyone taking on the analysis task if the
> point was slightly elaborated upon or it was linked to a meta-bug/list
> of bugs/wiki page that provides some context/rationale.  Especially
> since I suspect many of the half-finished-seeming things likely are
> directly tied to lower level debt[1] and being able to readily follow
> these threads would be useful to the analyzer.

We will certainly provide this person with lots of material once they
start; are you saying that this information would be useful to potential
job applicants?

Gerv