Thunderbird Architecture Analysis SOW

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Mar 15 17:53:23 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

One of the ways Mozilla is trying to help Thunderbird is with the
numerous upcoming technical challenges it faces. The way that help is
being provided is by offering to hire an architect who can take the time
to analyse all of the problems together, talk to the community, and then
propose a way forward which is achievable (if one exists). As the
Thunderbird community is made up of volunteers, no one person has the
time and bandwidth to take this on. There would be no obligation to take
the architect's advice, but we hope the report would be a useful and
helpful contribution.

To this end, we have written a Schedule of Work (SOW) for a contract
position to do this. You can find it here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e1OM8wTkImyU_aAy7I0qUMFm3ledId_jGwhW_CNXo2U/edit?usp=sharing

The document is not complete in that it needs additional framing at the
beginning to lay out the origins of the technical relationship between
Firefox and Thunderbird and why it needs to change. But the other three
sections ("Problem", "Experience Required" and "Deliverables and
Milestones") are ready for review.

Please can members of the Thunderbird community have a look at this
document, and give their comments on this list as to what could be
changed or improved?

Thanks,

Gerv