Gecko vs Goanna for Thunderbird Independence

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Wed Jan 27 20:07:18 UTC 2016

On 27.01.2016 19:27, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> On 27/01/2016 18:09, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> But from what I read it is a*maintained*  fork - so wouldn't that be
>> something TB could take advantage of, so we wouldn't have to do it all
>> by our lonesomes?
>
> Where do you read that?
>
> I think the Palemoon/Fossamail project is staffed only by a few people
> who might maintain their fork of Gecko in a compilable state. I got to
> know one of them when I was working on some Gecko spell checker
> issues. I highly doubt that they retrofit any Gecko fixes other than
> security relevant things or bustage fixes.

... and as mentioned in earlier threads where maintaining a Gecko fork
was discussed - I don't think maintaining a secure Gecko fork is likely
successful for more than maybe a year or two, even if there was a good
size team doing it. Fossamail seem to now be at Thunderbird ~ v24 so
security holes ahoy.

  -Magnus