JS-ification and code organization

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Fri Jan 22 19:59:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016, at 02:50 AM, Jim wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 <pidgeot18 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> At present, Thunderbird already uses two JS protocol libraries: JSMime and ical.js. I've also prepared a SASL library and I've poked away at an NNTP library that I want to try testing (to replace nsNNTPProtocol eventually) sometime this year; I've also poked a little bit at the whiteout.io (now emailjs) libraries.
>
> I'd be especially interested in the NNTP library so we could finally
> enable Gloda on NNTP. I seem to recall the issue being somewhere in
> nsNNTPProtocol (or maybe a related class), and no one actually knowing
> quite how to fix it.

I think the main stumbling block was propagating the URI flag to libmime
that made gloda's custom MIME emitter stuff work.  My initial attempt
broke NNTP downloads and I ran out of time to investigate.  It's
possible to address this in the C++ code by tracing down the various URI
flag paths and then adding the appropriate unit tests when fixing.
Besides telling gloda to stop ignoriong NNTP, gloda may also need to be
taught about when it's appropriate to index an NNTP message if the same
flags aren't used on the messages and folders as they are for IMAP for
indicating that the message will be fully synchronized but isn't yet.

Of course, if the pure JS implementation is coming imminently, then
that's probably the better time to do gloda hookup.

Andrew