My personal agenda for TB 52

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at lehigh.edu
Fri Jan 22 18:53:12 UTC 2016

On 1/22/2016 1:34 PM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> On 22/01/2016 16:23, ace wrote:
>> Yes, it could be interesting if we had a wikipage or some list of what
>> larger projects people are working on in the longer term.
>
> Well, I really wanted to start a discussion about which areas need
> attention.

The thrust of your message was - here's what *I'm* going to work on, and
the types of areas, what do you think?

Developing ideas for 52 is totally appropriate. But there really should
be a strategy that seeks to to achieve long term goals - which might be
what you are wanting to see - so that we come up with things that will
actually get done, and makes the best use of our limited manpower. (In
addition to "I am going to work on bug xxxx. But those things that don't
fit a larger goal can just be slapped up on a wiki, or made known by
devs marking themselves assigned on the relevant bugs.)

In other words, I don't think we need postings of personal laundry lists
or "it's criminal that bug X hasn't been fixed in Y years."

> For example, there's no point in investing time into (somewhat
> unimportant) better (multi-)language support if we need all hands on
> deck for a transition to a different platform.
>
> There is no point in adding a HTML view if we're deciding to move to a
> different editor which might already have a HTML view, for example:
> https://textbox.io/wysiwyg-html-editor/
>
> There is also no point in fiddling around in C++ code in the
> compose/send pipeline if the code is being replaced with JS next week.
>
> I'm a little disappointed that my post had no replies apart from yours.
> I was hoping to start a planning discussion, very appropriate for a
> planning e-mail list ;-)

For whatever reason, it's been a very quiet week everywhere in every
respect, so quiet here too isn't surprising.