Project ideas wanted for Summer of Code 2016

Florian Quèze florian at queze.net
Thu Jan 14 22:53:48 UTC 2016

Google is running Summer of Code again in 2016. Mozilla has had the
pleasure of participating many years so far, and even though we
weren't selected last year, we are hoping to participate again this
year. In the next few weeks, we need to prepare a list of suitable
projects to support our application.

Can you think of a 3-month coding project you would love to guide a
student through? This is your chance to get a student focusing on it
for 3 months! Summer of Code is a great opportunity to introduce new
people to your team and have them work on projects you care about but
that aren't on the critical path to shipping your next release.

Here are the conditions for the projects:
- completing the project should take roughly 3 months of effort for a student;
- any part of the Mozilla project (Firefox, Firefox OS, Thunderbird,
Instantbird, SeaMonkey, Bugzilla, L10n, NSS, IT, and many more) can
submit ideas, as long as they require coding work;
- there is a clearly identified mentor who can guide the student
through the project.

If you have an idea, please put it on the Brainstorming page
(https://wiki.mozilla.org/Community:SummerOfCode16:Brainstorming ),
which is our idea development scratchpad. Please follow the
instructions at the top.

The deadline to submit project ideas and help us be selected by Google
is February 19th.

Note for students: the student application period starts on March
14th, but the sooner you start discussing project ideas with potential
mentors, the better.

Please feel free to discuss with us any question you may have related
to Mozilla's participation in Summer of Code. Generic Summer of Code
questions are likely already answered in the Google FAQ:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq

Florian and Patrick