Thunderbird and Pretty Easy Privacy - current status

BA ba at pep-project.org
Fri Feb 26 07:00:41 UTC 2016

On Feb 25, 2016, at 9:37 PM, R Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:

> The reason that we keep linking PEP and Enigmail is that, as we understand it, PEP is proposing an encryption solution that is based on Enigmail, with additional components supplied by PEP. So Enigmail is a necessary but not sufficient part of incorporating PEP technology into Thunderbird.

Please see 'Enigmail and p≡p' cooperation announcement, for further details:
https://enigmail.net/index.php/en/home/news/29-enigmail-pep <https://enigmail.net/index.php/en/home/news/29-enigmail-pep>

We take this very seriously and we’re very happy with the way this is progressing.

> Concerning PEP, I think that we can say there have been some severe cultural clashes to working together. Yet Berna is trying hard to figure us out, and I am enthusiastic about the possibility of PEP making PGP encryption much more straightforward than it is now, and more widely adopted. So there is hope, but it will take some time to, as you say, "approach each other and work together, and in the process build mutual trust".  That's mostly what the recent statement is about. Nobody from Thunderbird want to be in a situation where we are "simply saying yay/nay" (or even worse, agreeing a priori to say "yay" because we are accepting funding from PEP). What would help is someone familiar with TB to work with PEP, or someone from PEP to work with Thunderbird.

Kent, thank you for your kind words! I'm looking forward to working more closely together. I agree, there were cultural clashes, because we're coming from very different ends of the Free Software Community as well as different backgrounds. Having said that, I personally believe, that we can help as well as elevate each other’s project, and we are fully committed to improving our relationship.

Moreover, critics are very welcome – especially from experts in making e-mail user friendly for so many people across the world.

Warmly,
-b
—
Berna Alp, p≡p project